Jarrow pub evacuated as glass washing machine catches light

Pub customers and staff were cleared from the bar after its glass washing machine caught fire.

Monday, 9th May 2016, 7:19 am
Updated Monday, 9th May 2016, 8:25 am
The Lakeside pub in Jarrow. Image copyright Google Maps.

The fire alarm at the Lakeside pub in Leam Lane, Jarrow, was set off just before 6.30pm yesterday.

Eight firefighters from South Shields Fire Station arrived to find the manager had already turned off the electricity supply to the kit, which had put out the fire.

Around 25 customers and staff were outside, after they were evacuated when the fire alarm system was set off.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The blaze is thought to have been started by an electrical fault.

Chris Swift-Hunter, watch manager, said: "They did the right thing by turning off the electricity supply off, which stopped the fire going any further.

"They also did a good job of evacuating everyone."

He added the fire system installed in the pub, which monitors heat and smoke, helped clear the building of people because the alarms are connected to all rooms in the property.

The machine, which was left damage by the heat and smoke, was moved into the yard.

The bar was also affected by smoke in the aftermath.