Man and woman arrested after alleged assault at South Tyneside District Hospital

A man and a woman have been arrested after nurses were attacked at South Tyneside District Hospital.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 27th November 2017, 5:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 6th December 2017, 11:48 am
South Tyneside District Hospital.
South Tyneside District Hospital.

The shocking incident took place in the accident and emergency department, with Northumbria Police confirming two people - a man aged 29 and a woman, 32 - were arrested on suspicion of assault.

Hospital chiefs say that nurses were left “injured and distressed” following the attack and they are now being offered support because of the ordeal.

Steve Jamieson

Officers were called to the unit shortly before 10pm.

The pair who were arrested have both been released pending further investigation.

One witness told the Gazette the incident was “the most disgusting thing I’ve ever witnessed”.

The man, who did not want to be named, said: “It was appalling.

Steve Jamieson

“The nurses and security staff had to pin a large man and a woman on the floor in the waiting room after they both attacked the nurses and doctors.

“Several of the nurses appeared to be injured afterwards with cuts to their arms and one was clutching her wrist.

“The police had to drag the man out in leg restraints and cuffs.”

He said: “The nurse had asked a man to please stop swearing and he went ballistic.

“A man and a woman were arrested and another woman was verbally abusing the staff. It’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever witnessed.”

Steve Jamieson, South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust’s director of estates and facilities, said: “We can confirm that a number of staff were injured and were very distressed following an incident in A&E.

“We are offering support to all those involved.

“The safety and protection of our staff is a top priority and we do not tolerate violent or abusive behaviour towards them of any kind.”

A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police said: “Police were called to South Tyneside District Hospital at 9.48pm on Sunday, November 19, to a report of a disturbance.

“Two people - a man aged 29 and a 32-year-old woman - were arrested on suspicion of assault and have been released under investigation.”