Man helped from house after South Shields fire

Felton Avenue. Picture from Google Images.
Felton Avenue. Picture from Google Images.

One man had to be helped from the building after a kitchen blaze at a house in South Shields.

Twelve firefighters from Hebburn and Shields were called to the two-storey detached house in Felton Avenue shortly before 1.30pm today.

Four of them used one hose and breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze which badly damaged the cooker of the property.

A member of staff from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service control gave survival advice to a member of the family which was passed on to a man who was trapped in the front bedroom until crews arrived.

He was assisted down the staris by firefighters. Everyone else had already escaped from the property.

The man was checked over by paramedics but did not require hospital treatment.