Man rescued from house in Shields

editorial image

Firefighters rescued a man from a smoke-logged house in South Shields tonight.

Crews from South Shields and Fulwell forced their way into a house in Temple Green around 7.45pm after neighbours raised the alarm.

The occupant had collapsed and food left unattended on the stove had activated smoke alarms.

The man was given oxygen by firecrews and paramedics then taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

“Fortunately there were smoke alarms in the property or it could have been a lot worse,” said acting watch manager Bryn Hanson.