Men jailed for 13 years each after violent robbery on businessman at his own home

Two South Tyneside thugs have been sentenced to more than 25 years in jail between them after carrying out a violent robbery.

Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 6:00 am
Updated Sunday, 4th June 2017, 9:14 pm
Scott Stubbings.

Scott Stubbings and Tony Ingram attacked the businessman and stole a large quantity of cash after their victim back towards his home in Jarrow.

Newcastle Crown Court heard they subjected the man to a horrendous assault, which was witnessed by his shocked wife, before stealing the cash from him.

Tony Ingram.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Stubbings and Ingram, both 25, made off with between £6,000 and £8,000 - much of which has not been recovered.

Detectives said that Ingram had previously worked on a casual basis for the victim - who has since required operations on his injuries but is said to be recovering well.

The attack happened in March 2015.

An inquiry following the robbery unearthed witnesses living in the area who could identify a car which Stubbings and Ingram had used to travel to the man’s home in Monkton Village.

Stubbings and Ingram were jailed at Newcastle Crown Court

Following a trial at Newcastle Crown Court, the callous pair were both found guilty of robbery.

Stubbings, of Abbey Drive, Jarrow, and Ingram, of Thames Avenue, Jarrow, were sentenced to 13 years each in prison.

After the sentences were passed, detective sergeant Clark Graham of Northumbria Police said: “This is justice for the victim and his wife who saw the attack and has suffered mentally after witnessing what happened.

“The sentence is sending out a message to people in the community that, even though this was a long invesitgation which has taken two years to conclude, we are always going to pursue offenders.

Tony Ingram.

“It is no matter how protracted investigations are.”

Stubbings is no stranger to the courts.

In 2014 he was jailed after he left a student’s jawbone sticking out of his skin following a dancefloor attack in a South Shields nightclub. Cameron Watermeyer needed two operations to repair his injuries after a “mighty blow” by Stubbings at Roxannes, in Ocean Road.

Stubbings admitted causing grievious bodily harm and was jailed for eight months.

Stubbings and Ingram were jailed at Newcastle Crown Court

In 2015, Stubbings was convicted of faking insurance documents in a bid to get a cheaper care insurance deal.

He sent off a forged no claims document to his car insurers.

Stubbing’s mother had put in a joint claim for motoring insurance for herself and her son in March of the same year – but unwittingly attributed her own year of birth, 1971, to her son.

He followed this up by pretending to be 20 years older in a bid to get cheaper motor insurance.