Newcastle in talks with Christian Atsu over over £6.2m move

Newcastle United are in discussions with Christian Atsu over a £6.2million move to St James's Park.

Monday, 15th May 2017, 11:29 am
Updated Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 1:37 pm
Christian Atsu

The winger scored five Championship goals for the club during his season-long loan from Chelsea.

And Newcastle have an option to buy the 25-year-old, who returned to his parent club last week.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sky Sports today report that United are "in talks" with Atsu over a permanent move to St James's Park.

The Ghana international spoke about his future after starring in Newcastle's 3-0 win over Barnsley eight days ago.

Atsu said: “No conversations – I’ve not heard from Newcastle.

“What I will say, though, is that I owe them thanks.

Rafa Benitez

“They have given me an opportunity – it’s a big club.

“Whatever happens in the future, I thank the fans, Rafa (Benitez) and everyone at the club.

“I cannot say what will happen with me. I cannot predict football. “I will go back to Chelsea first, then we see.”

Rafa Benitez

"The future of a player doesn’t change with one action or goal,” said Benitez.

“We know that he’s a good player. We have to decide. I’m really pleased with him. We have to see where we are in terms of the squad and all these things.”