One casualty after pan fire in South Shields

The fire broke out in Halstead Place. Picture by Google Maps.
The fire broke out in Halstead Place. Picture by Google Maps.

One person was taken to hospital after a pan fire in South Shields last night.

The blaze, which broke out at a flat in Halstead Place, was extinguished before the arrival of firefighters.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service confirmed in a tweet that one person was taken to hospital.

Their condition is not yet known.

A spokesman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service added: "We were called at 10pm last night to a report of a fire in Halstead Place, South Shields.

"Two crews from South Shields Community Fire Station attended and the stop for the incident was recorded at 10.17pm.

"This was a first floor flat within a block of flats.

"One pan and its contents was 100% severely damaged by fire.

"The remainder of the kitchen was 70% severely damaged by fire and 100% by smoke.

"The remainder of the flat was 70% severely damaged by smoke.

"The occupier of the flat self-extinguished the fire before the arrival of fire crews by turning off the heat source to the pan."