One of Hebburn’s most historic buildings on the market for £1.8m

Hebburn Hall
Hebburn Hall

One of South Tyneside’s most historic buildings is up for sale – at an asking price of £1.8m.

 Hebburn Hall, off Victoria Road, is forever associated with the Carr Ellison family, who helped shape the town’s development in the 19th century.

Offers are invited in the region of £1.8million

Bradley Hall spokesman

 It was originally built in the 1650s, when Robert Ellison acquired the Manor of Jarrow.

 Also known as Ellison Hall, it was rebuilt in 1790, with alterations masterminded by the famous architect John Dobson.

 Now the building, which consists of six occupied residential flats and a three-bedroom bungalow, is being sold through the Newcastle-based estate agents Bradley Hall.

The Grade ll Listed Georgian building is set within fairly extensive mature grounds of approximately 1.68 acres.

A spokesman for Bradley Hall said: “Offers are invited in the region of £1,800,000 for the benefit of our client’s freehold interest of the property and land.

“Alternatively, our client would consider selling the flats as individual units on long leasehold sales.”

 Hebburn Hall was converted into an infirmary in 1897, with the ground floor adapted into a surgery, and the former drawing room being used for meetings.

Cuthbert Ellison’s will of 1868 bequeathed the estate to his cousin Ralph Carr, who added the name Ellison to his own.

In 1886, part of the servants’s quarters were altered into a vestibule for the newly-converted St John’s Church, on the north side of the hall, while the west wing became the vicarage.

 By the time of the Second World War, the building was known as Ellison Hall Infirmary and maintained by subscription, before it was incorporated into the National Health Service in 1948, and was used for general and ear, nose and throat surgery.

 The building closed in 1976 and, after being a target for vandals, reopened as a Masonic social club.

 It was taken over for residential use in 1999, and the west side of the hall – the former vicarage – was converted into three private dwellings in 2001.