LEGAL EAGLE: My ex is harassing me - what can I do?

editorial image

Q. I separated from my ex-partner over six months ago. Since this date, he has not accepted the relationship is over and continues to text me and attend my home on an ad-hoc basis.

Although he does not contact me every day, when he does, it can be up to 20 times. I have blocked his number, but this does not prevent him coming my home.

I do not answer the door to him, but I wait for him to leave. He does not attempt to enter my property, but sits and waits in his car. Is there anything I can do to stop this harassment?

A. Given that your ex-partner appears to be harassing you, our advice would be to send him a solicitor’s warning letter, warning him to desist from his behaviour.

This letter would detail the level of harassment and advise him that you are legally entitled to require that you are not molested or harassed by him in any way.

In addition, the letter will stipulate that if the behaviour is repeated, you will seek police protection and/or instruct a solicitor to issue injunction proceedings to restrain his behaviour.

Any warning could be used within non-molestation proceedings to demonstrate your ex-partner has been warned.

It is often the case that a warning letter will act as a deterrent.

However, a warning letter would not be appropriate in the case of serious violence.

If your ex-partner was to become violent or refused to leave your home when asked to, you should contact the police.

Police forces are now becoming more involved in cases of domestic violence and many have their own domestic violence unit.

If there is sufficient merit, the court can also grant an order prohibiting your ex-partner from molesting you called a non-molestation order.

Although Legal aid has been abolished or cut back severely in many parts of the law it is still available in this area and you will be entitled to receive free advice from a solicitor subject to income.

Please make sure you bring you take proof of your income to your first appointment with any solicitors. In addition, you should provide an address of you ex-partner for the letter to be sent directly to him.

If you are unaware of his address and you would like to send a warning letter, a process server may be instructed to locate your ex-partner – this would cost an additional fee.