'Don't get distracted' - Fire service issues warning after crews called to house blaze in South Shields

The fire service has issued a warning to residents to stay alert after being called to a house fire in South Shields.

Tuesday, 28th January 2020, 7:58 am
Updated Tuesday, 28th January 2020, 9:35 am
Firefighters were called to a house blaze in South Shields.

One crew from South Shields fire station was called to a blaze at a house on Sheridan Road at 12.57pm on Monday, January 27.

The fire service has confirmed that a fire broke out when DVDs were were left on top of the hob while the cooker was switched on.

Firefighters used two hose reels and four breathing apparatus to put out the fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Now Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service are reminding residents not to become distracted whilst cooking.

A spokesman for the service said on Twitter: “Yesterday we were called to a property in South Shields, where the occupants had left a number of DVDs on top of their hob.

“As the cooker was switched on, the DVD's were 100% severely damaged by fire.

“Please stay alert, don't get distracted while you're cooking.”