Life-saving advice issued after cooker fire at home

Safety advice has been issued after a fire broke out at a Jarrow home when a pan was left on the hob.

Wednesday, 12th June 2019, 3:02 pm
Updated Wednesday, 12th June 2019, 9:19 pm
Crews were called to a fire at a home in Jarrow

Crews from South Shields and Gateshead were called to the fire at a home in Elm Street, in Jarrow, just before 12.40pm today.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The fire broke out after a pan was left on the hob but thankfully it only took two minutes for crews to extingish the flames.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The crew used the domestic water supply to extinguish the fire and as a precaution the cooker was taken outside of the property.

“There was 20% smoke damage upstairs and light smoke damage downstairs. The female occupier wasn’t home and the fire had started by accident. We’d urge residents to be careful.”