Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford celebrates Government free school meals u-turn

Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford has won his battle after calling on the Government to provide free school meals during the summer holidays.

Tuesday, 16th June 2020, 3:06 pm
Updated Tuesday, 16th June 2020, 3:07 pm
Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford has forced the Government into a u-turn over its initial decision not to provide free meals for needy pupils over the forthcoming summer holidays.

In a U-turn, Downing Street has announced a £120million fund which will benefit some 1.3 million children in England over the six-week summer period.

After the news was announced, Rashford wrote on Twitter: "Just look at what we can do when we come together, THIS is England in 2020."

The change of policy followed a plea by the Manchester United and England star to help children.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Prime Minister's official spokesman told a remote Westminster briefing: "Owing to the coronavirus pandemic, the Prime Minister fully understands that children and parents face an entirely unprecedented situation over the summer.

"To reflect this we will be providing a Covid Summer Food Fund.

"This will provide food vouchers covering the six-week holiday period.

"This is a specific measure to reflect the unique circumstances of the pandemic.

"The scheme will not continue beyond the summer and those eligible will be those who already qualify for free school meals."

It is understood payment will be through a one-off six week voucher given to eligible families at the end of term to use in supermarkets.

The spokesman said the measure would help some 1.3 million children in England.

Referring to Mr Rashford, he said: "The PM welcomes his contribution to the debate around poverty and respects the fact that he has been using his profile as a leading sportsman to highlight important issues."

The cost will come to £120 million in additional funding, Downing Street said.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer tweeted: "This is another welcome u-turn from Boris Johnson.

"The thought of 1.3 million children going hungry this summer was unimaginable.

"Well done to @MarcusRashford and many others who spoke out so powerfully about this issue. #HolidaysWithoutHunger".

Downing Street said the vouchers would amount to £15 a week per child.

The PM's spokesman said: "This is a specific measure over the summer."

Rashford had earlier penned an open letter asking the Government to reverse its decision not to award free school meals vouchers in England - for which nearly 1.3 million children are eligible - outside of term time.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you