Police recover car thought to be involved in suspected hit and run in South Shields

A woman required hospital treatment after the incident.
A woman required hospital treatment after the incident.

Police have recovered a car they believe was involved in a suspected hit and run in South Shields.

A 64-year-old woman was taken to hospital after being hit by a car, believed to be a small silver Citroen, in Boldon Lane yesterday.

She suffered non life-threatening injuries and has since been discharged from South Tyneside District Hospital.

Officers are trying to trace the driver of the car, which did not stop at the scene, and are calling for help from the public.

A vehicle matching its description, which police believe was involved in the crash, has been recovered by officers, and police are appealing for the driver to come forward.

The incident happened at about 11.58am.

PC Paul Bramwell, of Northumbria Police’s motor patrols unit, said: “The woman involved in this incident is fortunate to have not suffered more serious injuries.

“I would urge the driver of the silver vehicle to come forward and speak to police to assist with the ongoing investigation.

“If any members of the public also have dashcam footage of the incident, or saw anything suspicious at the time of the collision, please contact police on 101 quoting reference 456 090718.”

It is understood the woman suffered an injury to her left hip and cuts to her hands.

Witness Gemma Scott, 35, who works at a florist at Florabunder, on Boldon Lane, said: “I was in the shop when I heard a scream outside.

“It sounded like a dog whelping.

“I rushed outside and saw a woman partly lying in the road with her leg on the pavement.

“She was conscious and told me that a car had hit her, and she had fallen over the bonnet.

“The police and ambulance were there very quickly and cordoned the road off.”

A North East Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called to a report of a road traffic collision involving a pedestrian and a vehicle on Boldon Lane, South Shields, at 11.52am.

“Two crews, as well as our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and trauma team, attended the scene.

“One patient was taken to South Tyneside District Hospital."