Rafa Benitez delivers underwhelming transfer update at winless Newcastle
Rafa Benitez will push to get more transfer business done at Newcastle United '“ after his team's weaknesses were exposed.
Benitez’s side were beaten 1-0 by Huddersfield Town at the John Smith’s Stadium.
The defeat followed the previous weekend’s home loss to Tottenham Hotspur.
Benitez still wants to sign a winger and a goalkeeper, but he also needs to move players out.
There could be movement out of the club this week, with Achraf Lazaar set to return to Serie A with Genoa.
Asked about the transfer window, United manager Benitez said: “We’ll see what happens.
“It’s still 11 days (until the window closes). It’s not an easy window.”
Newcastle were linked with a number of players over the weekend – including former striker Andy Carroll, now at West Ham United.
“There is nothing to say about transfers at the moment – there’s no news,” said Benitez.
“I haven’t seen the latest names (linked with Newcastle). We have to wait.
“Obviously, we are working behind the scenes trying to do things, but I don’t know what our position is at the moment.”
Benitez’s main goalkeeping target is Napoli’s Pepe Reina.
And the 34-year-old is reportedly ready to hand in a transfer request in an attempt to force through a move to Newcastle.
Benitez previously worked with Reina at Napoli and Liverpool.
Talks are also ongoing over a loan move for 21-year-old winger Kenedy.
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte will sanction the move when the club makes more progress on incoming transfers.
In the meantime, Benitez must prepare his team for Wednesday night’s home Carabao Cup tie against Nottingham Forest.
That game is followed by a home Premier League fixture against West Ham, who, like Newcastle, have lost their first two games.