Rafa Benitez reveals the remarkable recovery of some of Newcastle's injured players
Rafa Benitez says Newcastle United's treatment room emptied hours into his tenure.
The relegation-threatened club's new manager has taken two training sessions since his appointment yesterday, when he cancelled the players' day off.
Benitez – who was today unveiled to the media at St James's Park – is preparing for Monday night's game against Leicester City.
Steve McClaren, his predecessor at the club, had been plagued by injuries.
But Benitez revealed one or two players who had previously been working with the medical team took part in his first impromptu session.
"We had some players who were not training the day before and they were out on the pitch," said Benitez, who has signed a three-year deal.
On his decision to cancel the players' day off, the 55-year-old added: "I wanted to train.
"We don't have too much time. Credit to the players, everybody was there ready to train. It was a great atmosphere. For me, it was positive."