South Shields criminal with more than 200 convictions jailed for glass attack

A thug thrust a broken bottle into a man's face in a horrifying town centre attack because he 'got a kick out of it'.

Thursday, 26th May 2016, 3:25 pm
Updated Friday, 27th May 2016, 10:53 am
Steven Smith was jailed at Newcastle Crown Court.

Steven Smith, 33, caused a wound running from his victim’s ear to his jaw, which developed a blood clot and needed scans, stitches and treatment in hospital.

He will be scarred for life.

The daytime violence happened near the Queen Street public toilets in South Shields on September 2 last year, where the victim, who had been chatting to friends, was targeted for no reason.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Smith, who had “removed himself from civilisation” and was sleeping in a cave at Marsden, boasted after the attack: “I lost it, I picked up the green bottle and stuck it in his face.

“I wasn’t bothered about how bad it was. I got a kick out of it.”

Smith, previously of South Shields, who has 205 previous convictions, admitted wounding with intent.

At Newcastle Crown Court Mr Recorder Singh sentenced him to six years and three months behind bars, with a three-year extended licence period.

The judge told him: “You approached him, you had a bottle in your hand, you smashed it against a nearby wall them pushed it into his face.

“You pose a significant risk to members of the public.”

The victim told detectives he was attacked “out of the blue” and instantly felt unwell and dizzy.

He added: “This has shocked me, knocked me all to hell.”

The court heard Smith has a history of violence which includes using lumps of brick in a sock as a weapon and attacking police.

At the time of the attack he was on post-sentence supervision following an earlier prison sentence.

Barry Robson, defending, said Smith has drug and alcohol related paranoia and psychotic episodes.

Mr Robson said: “We are dealing with someone who has completely removed himself from civilisation.

“At the time he was living in a cave at Marsden Grotto.

“He was working at a fruit and veg stall for £10 per day.”

The court heard Smith is now locked in his cell for 23 hours per day.

Mr Robson said Smith is now willing to accept assistance and input from professionals to start dealing with his problems.