South Shields man jailed after pub attack on 'fearful' former girlfriend

An ex-boyfriend who threw a pint of lager over his former girlfriend's head when they bumped into each other on a night out has been put behind bars.

Friday, 20th July 2018, 3:27 pm
Updated Friday, 20th July 2018, 3:32 pm
Kieron Lincoln.

Kieron Lincoln, 24, was already on a suspended prison sentence for harassing the woman and the subject of a restraining order to stop him pestering her when they ended up in the same bar in South Shields in April.

Newcastle Crown Court heard there was a confrontation on the way out of the pub, where Lincoln claimed he believed the victim had been "flirting with one of his friends".

Prosecutor Rachel Masters told the court: "He picked up a full pint of alcohol and threw it over her, before running out of the pub."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The court heard earlier that day that Lincoln had sent the woman a series of threats, towards the woman's family and friends, over Snapchat social media.

The victim said she was left "anxious and fearful" of Lincoln.

Lincoln, of Olive Street, South Shields, admitted common assault, breach of a restraining order and committing an offence during a suspended sentence order.

Judge Edward Bindloss told him: "You requested contact on Snapchat and took the opportunity, once she agreed, to issue threats of violence to her family and friends.

"She went to the pub, met a friend and you turned up and poured a pint of lager over her head."

The court heard Lincoln had been given the suspended sentence in October last year after he made threats, pulled her to the ground and sent harassing messages.

Judge Bindloss told him: "An opportunity was handed to you in October last year and you have failed to take it."

The judge sentenced him to five-and-a-half months behind bars.

Lincoln, who appeared at the hearing via video link to HMP Durham, told the court: "I have found myself in prison for the first time. It has been a huge eye opener.

"This is not the life I wish to lead."

Vic Laffey, defending, said the couple had remained in contact after the restraining order was made, which was a "recipe for disaster".