South Shields youngster's cancer fight goes on

A youngster who has set her heart on a trip to Disneyland is continuing her battle against an aggressive form of cancer.

Monday, 9th May 2016, 8:00 am
Updated Monday, 9th May 2016, 9:35 am
Kayleigh Brennan of Australia Grove, South Shields, who is being treated for leukaemia, pictured with mum Lindsay.

Little Kayleigh Brennan is being treated for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.

The three-year-old was diagnosed with the condition and underwent treatment at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.

Now her health has improved, she is able to receive chemotherapy at her home in Australia Grove, in Brockley Whins, South Shields.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But while it seems Kayleigh is on the road to recovery. her family are fearful of a relapse.

If that happens, it could leave them needing to find £150,000 for her treatment.

Her family have already raised the £10,000 needed to take the youngster – who loves princesses – to Disneyland to meet her heroes once her treatment is complete.

Her mum Lindsey Brennan said: “Everything seems to be going really well.

“Kayleigh is still having chemotherapy but she is now able to have it at home instead of travelling to the hospital.

“We still need to be careful of infections and bacteria but she is doing really well.

“She’ll be receiving treatment until next September and we are praying she doesn’t have a relapse.

“We’ve raised the money needed to take her to Disneyland but we are continuing to fundraise, as if she relapses we will need to find the £150,000 needed for treatment, as the NHS will only fund so much.

“If Kayleigh doesn’t relapse, any money we raise will be donated to charities.”

Kayleigh was diagnosed with leukaemia last May after her worried parents took her to a health walk-in centre.

They were advised to take her to the family’s GP in Wenlock Road, South Shields, as they believed she may be anaemic and would need blood tests. However, the family’s GP told them to take her straight to South Tyneside Hospital’s accident and emergency department.

The youngster, who lost her hair, has since returned to nursery.