South Tyneside woman and toddler hurt by falling glass

A toddler from South Tyneside was injured when flying glass crashed from the roof of a shopping centre in Carlisle.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 28th October 2016, 3:06 pm
Updated Monday, 31st October 2016, 9:03 am
The Lanes shopping centre in Carlisle.
The Lanes shopping centre in Carlisle.

An inquiry into the incident has been launched at The Lanes shopping centre after two-year-old Eden Ewings and her mum's cousin, Nikita Moore, 23, were injured.

The pair, who had travelled to Carlise to visit family members, were both showered with glass from the roof and were taken to hospital by ambulance and treated for cuts.

Eden's mum, Kelly Ewings, said they were all visiting her mother, Deborah Nelson, who runs the Caledonian pub in Botchergate, when the incident happened yesterday lunchtime.

She said: "I stayed back at the pub but my mum went shopping with Nikita, Eden and my one-year-old baby Neve. Mum came back to the pub with Neve because she needed feeding so they weren't there when it happened."

Mrs Ewings said the first she knew of the incident was when Nikita phoned her.

She said: "She told me glass had smashed down from the roof where there were contractors working."

The mum said Eden had her cuts cleaned up and Nikita had to have hers glued.

She said: "I have to say the management at The Lanes were very good and treated us well."

David Jackson, The Lanes' commercial director, said: "Our first concern is for the two people injured in the accident. Members of our team attended the scene and administered first aid. Paramedics attended and examined both and no further treatment was deemed necessary on site.

"We hope that they both make a full recovery from this unfortunate experience. We are grateful for the swift actions of our onsite team who acted quickly to provide first aid, secure the area and start the clean-up process.

"We were also grateful for the support of others on site and the cooperation of the general public.

"We will liaise with HSE and will continue to work with them as part of a full investigation into this matter."