Teenage boy airlifted to safety after being cut off by tide at Marsden beach

A 15-year-old boy has been rescued by the emergency services after being cut off by the tide on Marsden beach.

Tuesday, 6th November 2018, 2:54 pm
Updated Wednesday, 7th November 2018, 1:48 am
H M Coastguard were called to evacuate a teenage boy stranded on the beach.

Northumbria Police had launched a search for the teenager earlier today and alerted the H M Coastguard.

Sunderland RNLI were asked to send out two inshore life boats around 12 noon and spent more than two hours searching.

H M Coastguard were called to evacuate a teenage boy stranded on the beach.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They found the boy on Marsden beach where he had been cut off by the tide, but due to the rough sea conditions they were unable to reach the boy by boat.

They requested the help of the H M Coastguard helicopter which airlifted the teenager to safety at the top of the cliffs by Souter Lighthouse at around 2.30pm.

He was found to be shaken but uninjured.

Paul Nicholson from Sunderland RNLI, said: "At around 12 noon we were requested to launch our two inshore lifeboats to support the HM Coastguard in locating the missing 15-year-old.

The Coastguard brought the boy to safety using their helicopter.

"After a long search our volunteers located the boy, but unfortunately due to the rough sea conditions we were unable to rescue the boy and requested support from the Coastguard helicopter.

"But one of the boats was able to get close enough to the boy to reassure him."

A spokesman for the H M Coastguard said they were also helped by South Shields Voluntary Life Brigade and Sunderland Coastguard Rescue Team.

He said: "A teenage boy was initially reported as missing and we were asked by Northumbria Police to help to find him.

H M Coastguard were called to evacuate a teenage boy stranded on the beach.

"We found him on the beach beneath Souter Lighthouse and evacuated him after he became stranded by the tide.

"Because of his position and the conditions we wen't able to use the lifeboat to evacuate him and the Coastguard helicopter was called.

"We airlifted him to the top of the cliffs at 2.30pm

"He was a bit shaken up but no medical treatment was needed."

Search and rescue teams were called to evacuate the teenager.

A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: "At 9.38am today police received a report of concern for a teenager believed to be missing from home in South Shields.

“Inquiries led officers to locate the 15-year-old boy at Marsden cliffs.

"Emergency services attended where he was brought to safety.”

Tom Fennelly Honorary Secretary of South Shields Volunteer Life Brigade, confirmed that they were called to join the search at 11.54am, with teams leaving the scene at 3.30pm.

He said: "We are always pleased when we have a good outcome.

"This incident is an excellent example of the emergency services working together to achieve a good result which was the safe retrieval of a person who was in a danger and distress."

Emergency services were called to rescue the boy.
The Coastguard helicopter flew the teenager to the top of the cliffs by Souter Lighthouse.
The teenager was found to be shaken but unhurt.