Urgent investigation launched at Boldon factory after worker suffers facial burns

Faltec Europe
Faltec Europe

A Boldon factory has launched an urgent safety investigation after a worker suffered facial burns in a blaze this morning.

The 20-year-old man was rushed to hospital with first degree burns after a fire on a production line at Faltec Europe Ltd in Boldon Business Park.

The worker received First Aid on the scene from firefighters after a flash fire broke out at 5.50am.

After firefighters from South Shields and Washington applied emergency burns dressings, the worker was taken to South Tyneside District Hospital.

The production line affected by the blaze has been halted as the investigation takes place, while other lines at the four factory-site remain in operation.

A spokesman from Faltec said they wished their employee a speedy recovery.

“An urgent investigation is underway at our Boldon site following an incident on a factory production line which caused burns to the face of an employee early this morning,” he said.

“The emergency services were immediately called, and our employee was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

“It is far too early to know or speculate about the cause of the accident. Health and safety specialists are conducting a thorough review of the line. In the meantime, we wish a speedy recovery to our employee.”

Watch manager Ed Cooper from South Shields said: “It was a flash fire which burnt itself out, but a man was injured during the fire. We treated him at the scene before the arrival of paramedics.

“We’re not sure what caused the blaze as yet.”

The car components factory hit the headlines earlier this year when it was at the centre of a Legionnaire’s outbreak.

It was ordered to shut down four cooling towers by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after significant levels of the potentially-lethal bacteria were discovered on site.

Four workers at the factory, as well as a resident whose home overlooks the premises, required hospital treatment after contracting the disease between last October and May.

The factory was given the all clear last month after the company put in place significant safety improvement measures.