WATCH: Yellow balloons fill the sky as Hartlepool says goodbye to Jacob Jenkins

The rain may have been pouring in Hartlepool - but that didn't stop the sky from shining yellow.

Hundreds of bright balloons were released into the sky as little Jacob Jenkins made his final pass through the town in a horse drawn carriage.

The toddler's funeral took place at St Joseph's R.C. Church, St Paul's Road, from 1pm - and while the service was going on, members of the community lined York Road armed with balloons, ready for their own goodbye.

Related story: Spider-Man and Iron Man guide Jacob into St Jospeh's RC Church

The wet weather could not even make a dent in the high spirits of those paying their respects, with parents, children and teenagers all waiting to take part in the show of support.

Angela Stoker, who lives in the town, said it was "lovely" how such a little boy had made a big impact, and touched everyone's hearts.

Yellow balloons released as Jacob Jenkins makes his final journey through Hartlepool.

Yellow balloons released as Jacob Jenkins makes his final journey through Hartlepool.

"It's absolutely amazing that everybody has turned out for him, especially in view of the weather," she added.

The grandmother also said she knew she wanted to pay her respects to the toddler, who died after choking on a grape, ever since the funeral date was announced earlier in the month.

Many were lining the main street from before 1pm, eager to take part in a town-wide celebration of the two-year-old's life.

As the carriage carrying Jacob's coffin made its way down York Road, balloons were let go and a hush fell over the public - before they took part in a round of applause.

Jacob Jenkins

Jacob Jenkins

The horses were followed by cars, which were carrying Jacob's loved ones to the cemetery.

Beverley Wright, 51, was watching with her daughter Nicola, 16.

"We wanted to come down and show our respects and it's amazing that so many people are here, especially with the weather," she said.

"The community always pulls together with this spirit."

Traces of yellow were left in the street following the release, with lone balloons tied to railings and on displays outside shops.

Many wore yellow ribbons pinned to their coats, while others carried posies of yellow flowers. The skies remained grey as the crowds left the town centre - but every splash of the bright colour stays as a reminder of the two-year-old who no one will ever forget.