What you said about Â£250k spend on celebs for South Tyneside
Gazette readers have backed South Tyneside Council's decision to spent almost Â£250,000 on bringing celebrities to South Tyneside over the last three years.
Council bosses said the cash, which was used to pay for acts to appear at South Tyneside Summer Festival’s free Sunday concerts, Christmas light switch-ons and a paid for Soundwaves gig, was money well spent.
They say last year visitors spent an estimated at £1.479m while visiting South Shields seafront.
However, the Taxpayers Alliance criticised the decision and cash should be spent on front-line services.
But the vast majority of Gazette readers believe the free concerts are worth every penny.
Kirsty Lambert wrote: “I’m pretty sure that the contribution to the local economy is far greater than £250k thanks to that investment from STC.”
John Brown said: “People come from all other the north east for the Summer music festivals. One thing the council gets right if you ask me.”
Lee Hemingwa added: “£250k spread over three years, that’s a tiny investment for the amount it brings into Shields economy and the positive reputation boost.”
Catherine Browne stated: “It gets people into the town and that’s what we need at the moment as South Shields has a dying town centre. I thoroughly enjoyed myself on Sunday afternoon in the Bents Park so £250k is nothing as to what was probably spent in South Shields at the weekend.”
But not everyone agreed.
Lynn Arthur added: “Every person has an opinion and they are entitled to it, me personally would rather see the money used put to a better use.”