Woman taken to hospital after putting foot through stairs at Hebburn home
A woman has been taken to hospital with a suspected broken ankle after stairs gave way at her Hebburn home
A crew from the town's fire station was called to Collingwood Street this afternoon.
The 38-year-old woman had been manoeuvring a washing machine down back stairs at the property when its weight caused the last stair to give way, trapping her foot beneath the machine.
Firefighters released her and she was taken to South Tyneside Hospital by ambulance.
A second crew from the station attended reports of a gas leak in Grosvenor Crescent, but has left the incident in the hands of gas engineers.