A visit to South Shields fire station proved a hit with families as they learned how to prevent blazes from breaking out in the home.
Bereavement Support group The Cruse Crew were invited to the venue in John Reid Road to gain an insight into the role of the borough’s firefighters.
Their fire safety knowledge was put to the test during a briefing on hazards to avoid in the home and they were shown the dangers of using chip pans.
Firefighters were also on hand to show families around the trucks, some of the equipment they use in rescue operations and answer questions they had.
Mam Susan Clarkson said; “We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and we all learned so much - things we didn’t even think about it that could be hazardous in the home.
“It was really informative but enjoyable and Brian made it so entertaining - the kids, and the adults, really took everything he was saying on board.
At the end of it everyone was so hyped. We had such a great time and the firefighters who were on duty were lovely.Susan Clarkson
“At the end of it everyone was so hyped. We had such a great time and the firefighters who were on duty were lovely.
“We can’t thank them enough for what they did for us as families. And I know a few of us went round our homes when we got in checking plug sockets.
“Some of the kids are already asking when they can go back.”
The Cruse Crew based at Harton and Westoe Miners Welfare in Low Lane provides a place where families, children and young people can come together to gain support from each other following the death of a close family member by taking part in a range of activities including animation, sports activities and crafts. Each year, the young people also take part in First Aid training.
Firefighter, Sue Jones, from South Shields Community Firestation said: “The children were really great and we were pleased that we could show them around the firestation, on the trucks and importantly talk to them about fire safety dangers, and how to avoid them. Apart from the chip-pan fire demonstration, we also talked to them about many of the things that they will see every day. Things like not overloading electrical sockets, not leaving mobile phones charging for too long and what to do if there is a fire in their home. We hear that the visit went down very well, and that they took our fire safety messages home. But we’re just glad that we were able to give the children an informative and fun night, especially with everything they may be trying to cope with in their personal lives.”