Gardiner digs in to secure point for Jarrow Roofing

A late Paul Gardiner goal rescued a 3-3 draw for Jarrow Roofing against 10-man Ryhope CW, despite Roofing holding the lead on two occasions.

Monday, 5th December 2016, 1:01 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 11:44 am
Jarrow Roofings Shaun Vipond (blue) and Ryhopes Stephen Francis battle for the ball. Picture: TOM BANKS

Shaun Vipond gave the home side an early lead before Kyle Davis equalised for Ryhope.

Chris Winn regained the lead for the hosts, but James Ellis brought the game level just moments later.

Davis’ sending off didn’t seem to hamper his side as they took the lead late on through Ellis’ second of the game.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But new signing Gardiner took advantage of a corner Ryhope failed to deal with in the final seconds of the game.

Roofing took the lead after two minutes when Winn’s cross found Vipond whose close range effort snuck past the ‘keeper.

The Ryhope defence did their best to keep the ball from crossing the line, but it was to no avail as the referee signalled for a goal.

The hosts couldn’t keep up their great start as Ryhope began to grow into the game.

Davis twice went close in the opening 15 minutes before finally pulling the visitors level after a goal kick was not dealt with by the Jarrow Roofing defence, allowing the striker to volley the ball into the top corner.

The Roofers came out of the traps in the second half as the ball fell to Winn inside the penalty area just seconds after the restart, and the recent signing made no mistake in cooly finding the net.

However, Roofing’s lead didn’t last long, Davis squared the ball across the six-yard box for Ellis to poke in and bring Ryhope level for the second time.

Goalscorer Davis was sent off for a second bookable offence in the 75th minute after going in with a high boot on Jamie Marshall.

Roofing continued to hunt for the lead. Appeals for a handball in the Ryhope penalty area were waved away by the referee and substitute Michael Mackay went close with a header moments later.

The home side were caught out in their attempts to find a winner. Ellis picked the ball up in the Roofing box before twisting away from the defence and rifling in what looked to be a winner for the visitors.

Jarrow Roofing never gave up though as Mackay had a goal ruled out for offside before Gardiner got his head onto a late corner and earned a point for the home side in the dying seconds of the game.