John Carver: Why Newcastle will NOT park the bus against Man City

NO BUSES... John Carver
NO BUSES... John Carver
Share this article

JOHN Carver says Newcastle United will NOT “park the bus” at Manchester City – and will instead look to take the driving seat.

Carver’s side take on the Premier League champions at the Etihad Stadium tomorrow.

Newcastle have already won the at City once this season – United won 2-0 in the Capital One Cup – and Carver says his team won’t be fearful of Manuel Pellegrini’s expensively-assembled side.

Asked if second-placed City are vulnerable at home, head coach Carver said: “Absolutely.

“We saw that with Middlesbrough in the cup. Hull City last week, up until the last few minutes of the game, were winning, so we can’t go there with fear.

“We have got to go there with confidence.

“We are not going to park the bus. We have got a gameplan – we are going to do the gameplan – but we are going to have a go at them as well.”

Rolando Aarons and Moussa Sissoko found the net in Newcastle’s cup win at the Etihad Stadium back in late October.

And Carver is hopeful his team can cause City – who will have one eye on next week’s Champions League tie against Barcelona – problems on the counter-attack.

“We went there in the League Cup and thoroughly deserved the win,” said the 50-year-old.

“It wasn’t a freak result – we played really well that night against a strong Manchester City side.

“We do know they have got a big Champions League game coming up on Tuesday against Barcelona, so what changes he will make, I am not quite sure.

“The one thing I will say is he hasn’t just got a good starting XI, he has got a good second string as well, so picking a first XI must be very, very difficult.

“We are going there knowing that we are playing against a good side, but we are not going to be fearful of that side because we have proved it. We have gone there and got a good result.”

Newcastle, however, could have to contend with Wilfried Bony, who is expected to make his debut for the home side after returning from the African Cup of Nations.

Bony was signed from Swansea City last month in a deal worth £28m.

The 26-year-old – who scored against United in the colours of his former club earlier this season – was once a target for Newcastle, but the club baulked at the £10m fee Vitesse Arnhem demanded in 2013.

Carver said: “He will be raring to go, coming back from the African Nations

“Every time we have come up against him when he was at Swansea, he was a handful.

“But we have enough in our back four to deal with it. Again we are guessing here, because he’s saying that he would like to make his debut.

“I have seen that, but whether he does or not remains to be seen.

“But we will have to deal with it. Our defenders lately have defended quite well. We have not conceded too many goals, and hopefully that will continue.

“It’s quite funny because Mike Williamson, when he comes up against him, he likes that type of player.

“It’s the tricky ones who give him a little bit of a problem, so (Sergio) Aguero could give him a problem if he plays.”

Twitter: @milesstarforth