Latest on Newcastle pair Daryl Janmaat and Rolando Aarons ahead of Chelsea clash

Steve McClaren
Steve McClaren

Steve McClaren was today taking a “roll call” at Newcastle United – after losing another TWO players.

McClaren and his players are reeling from last night’s 1-0 Capital One Cup defeat to Sheffield Wednesday at St James’s Park.

And the club’s head coach must now pick his players up for Saturday evening’s televised home game against Premier League champions Chelsea.

McClaren, without a clutch of players through injury, must also assess just who will be available.

Defender Daryl Janmaat had to be taken off at the break against Wednesday, while he lost winger Rolando Aarons to a knock on the eve of the game.

Aarons had been a contender to start at left back with Massadio Haidara sidelined.

We will assess over the next few days if we will have anybody back for Saturday. You know, I think we have to take a roll call and have a look at things.

Steve McClaren

“We will assess over the next few days if we will have anybody back for Saturday,” said McClaren.

“You know, I think we have to take a roll call and have a look at things.”

Defender Kevin Mbabu replaced Janmaat for the second half.

It was the 20-year-old’s first competitive senior game in British football since his move from Swiss club Servette two and a half years ago.

“He (Janmaat) was feeling a little dizzy in the first half, so he said he couldn’t continue, so young Kevin came on and I thought he did very well,” said McClaren.

Mbabu didn’t make an appearance for Rangers during his half-season loan at Ibrox last term.