Mixed news on injuries for Newcastle ahead of Burnley game

APOLOGY ... Cisse.
APOLOGY ... Cisse.

PAPISS Demba Cisse apologised to Newcastle United for his dismissal against Everton before heading to Senegal.

Cisse has been banned for three games after accepting a Football Association charge of violent conduct for his elbow on Seamus Coleman in Sunday’s 3-2 victory.

With Senegal about to meet up ahead of the African Cup of Nations, the club will now be without the striker until next month.

“We dealt with the Papiss Cisse situation,” said assistant manager John Carver.

“Papiss came in to see me and apologised. He got what he deserved, because you can’t do that. He’s accepted that and the club’s accepted that.

“I’ve allowed him to go and join up with the national team. We’re disappointed to lose him, but we were losing him anyway.”

Meanwhile, fit-again defender Massadio Haidara returns to the squad, but the game has come too soon for injured forward Sammy Ameobi.

Midfielder Mehdi Abeid is still struggling with the toe he broke on international duty last month.

The problem could see him ruled out of Algeria’s African Cup of Nations squad.

“Mehdi’s got a little problem with his toe,” said Carver. “Whether he’ll be fit enough to go to African Cup of Nations we’ll have to wait and see.”