Danny Ings not affected by Newcastle and Sunderland speculation

IN DEMAND ... Burnley's Danny Ings.
IN DEMAND ... Burnley's Danny Ings.
Share this article

BURNLEY boss Sean Dyche is confident Danny Ings is not being affected by speculation surrounding his future.

The striker’s performances in his debut Barclays Premier League season have reportedly caught the eye of a number of clubs, with Sunderland and Newcastle both having been linked with the 22-year-old.

Dyche insists there have been no inquiries since the transfer window opened, and player, manager and club have all continued to state unequivocally that Ings is going nowhere this month.

But, with the striker out of contract in the summer and having so far declined to sign a new deal, the speculation is certain to continue.

Ings was critical of his own performance despite scoring his sixth goal of the season against QPR on Saturday but, asked if his star player was being affected, Dyche said: “It doesn’t look like it, his performances look pretty decent to me.

“He’s quite demanding of himself, almost too demanding. I’ve told him to smile and relax and enjoy what he’s doing, and that seems to work with him. His thirst to improve is there for all to see.

“It’s an ongoing negotiation, like it is with a lot of players. We get on well with his agent, and that’s an important thing as well.

“Everyone knows where it is and that’s always been the case. We try and be open and honest in our dealings with players and we’ve certainly been that with him. Where it takes us, we’ll see.”