Fabricio Coloccini says he was “proud” to sign a contract extension at Newcastle United.
The club’s long-serving captain agreed an extended deal last week ahead of Sunday’s Premier League season-opener against Southampton.
Coloccini played in the game, despite having missed all United’s pre-season games with an Achilles problem.
Former Newcastle manager Alan Pardew had been interested in taking the 33-year-old to Crystal Palace.
But the Argentina international will now spend the next two years at St James’s Park.
“I had a few offers to leave the club, but I said my first choice is to be here,” Coloccini told BBC Radio Newcastle.
“I felt proud because – I want to be here. I feel part of this club and this city.
“I expect to be fit and play every game.”
On his longer-term future, Coloccini added: “I would like to finish my career in Europe, maybe here.
“I try to speak in the present. I have a contract for two years, but in the future I don’t know what will happen.
“I would like to finish my career in Europe, but maybe I will play a few years in Argentina if I feel OK.”