Huddersfield Town 1 Newcastle United 0: Rafa Benitez's side lose second successive game

Rafa Benitez
Rafa Benitez

Newcastle United suffered a second Premier League defeat at the John Smith's Stadium this afternoon.

A stunning goal from Aaron Mooy saw Huddersfield Town beat Rafa Benitez's side 1-0 in their first away game of the new season.

At times Newcastle, still a work in progress, looked a shadow of the team that confidently beat Huddersfield 3-1 at the stadium in a Championship fixture in March.

David Wagner's side were better with and without the ball, though the visitors did create a number of chances.

Huddersfield had the better of the first half but couldn't find the net. United created little of note, though Dwight Gayle had a penalty appeal waved away by referee Craig Pawson after he was challenged by Christopher Schindler.

The home team got their breakthrough in the 50th minute.

Mooy exchanged passes with Elias Kachunga on the edge of the box before curling a superb shot beyond Rob Elliot with his right foot.

United manager Benitez – who had handed midfielder Mikel Merino his full league debut in the absence of the suspended Jonjo Shelvey – quickly sent on new signing Joselu.

Benitez also sent on Mohamed Diame and Jacob Murphy, but they couldn't find a way back into the game.

And Newcastle remain pointless after two games.

The club's next fixture is Wednesday night's home Carabao Cup tie against Nottingham Forest.

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN: Lossl, Smith, Billing, Kachunga (Palmer, 72), Mooy, Lowe, van la Parra (Quaner, 69), Ince (Hefele, 90), Mounie, Zanka, Schindler. Subs not used: Coleman, Malone, Lolley, Williams.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Elliot; Manquillo, Mbemba, Lascelles Clark; Merino, Hayden (Diame, 76); Ritchie, Perez (Murphy, 80), Atsu; Gayle (Joselu, 52). Subs not used: Darlow, Saivet, Aarons, Mitrovic.

Goals: Mooy 50

Bookings: Ritchie 41, Hayden 53, Joselu 64, Billing 66, Palmer 77, Mounie 88, Lascelles 90

Referee: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire)