John Carver refuses to discuss decision to axe Newcastle’s Jonas Gutierrez for Spurs game

Jonas Gutierrez
Jonas Gutierrez

JOHN Carver refused to discuss his decision to axe Newcastle United’s Jonas Gutierrez for the Tottenham Hotspur game.

Gutierrez did not even make the bench for yesterday’s game at St James’s Park.

The 31-year-old winger revealed on Twitter that he was NOT injured before the Premier League match, which Newcastle went on to lose 3-1.

But head coach Carver refused to discuss his absence from the matchday squad of 18 players in his post-match Press conference.

Asked why he was not involved, Carver said: “I have got my reasons for that, and I don’t want to talk about Jonas.”

Gutierrez – who was given the all-clear from cancer late last year after treatment in his native Argentina – was one of the few players to emerge from the club’s Wear-Tyne derby defeat with any credit.

I have got my reasons for that, and I don’t want to talk about Jonas.

John Carver

But he still found himself on the bench for the game against Liverpool at Anfield a week ago.

Late last week Gutierrez, cryptically, said on Twitter that he was “tired about some things” and that “Newcastle deserved more”, though the exact meaning of the tweet was not clear.

Ironically, Carver paid a warm tribute to Gutierrez – who is out of contract in the summer and set to leave the club he has served for the past seven years – in his programme notes for the Tottenham game.

“Jonas Gutierrez made his 200th appearance for the club on Monday night,” he wrote.

“That is a fantastic achievement for any player, but even more so after everything Jonas has been through over the past two years, so congratulations to him.”

Had Gutierrez started the club’s final seven games of the season, he would have earned a new deal through a clause in his contract.

Carver has always insisted since taking charge that the club’s board have no influence over his team selection.