JOHN Carver says Siem de Jong is not yet ready to start a game for Newcastle United in the Premier League.
The Dutchman – who scored as a late substitute in last weekend’s defeat to Swansea City – had been tipped to start on Saturday in Newcastle’s trip to Leicester City.
However, Carver says he is not yet ready for that, while Paul Dummett and Moussa Sissoko are now back in contention.
He said: “Siem de Jong is ready for this weekend, having played 90 minutes for the Under-21s. He is not ready to start, however.
“Paul Dummett and Moussa Sissoko coming back into the group this week has given us a lift.”
Newcastle will be facing a Leicester side who now sit outside the relegation places, having won four of their last five games.
Carver added: “Four weeks ago Leicester were dead and buried, but Nigel (Pearson) has turned them around and they are in with a chance of staying up.”