Mystery man Facundo Ferreyra’s absence explained by Newcastle head coach John Carver

INJURY ... Ferreyra.
INJURY ... Ferreyra.

FACUNDO Ferreyra’s absence from the first-team picture at Newcastle United has been explained by John Carver.

The on-loan striker is yet to kick a ball in anger for the club – FIVE months after joining from Shakhtar Donetsk.

And there had been speculation that the year-long loan would be cut short this month amid reported interest from Italian club Genoa.

But Carver says the 23-year-old is still a United player, though he has an injury and is NOT available for selection.

“He’s injured at the moment,” said Carver, appointed as head coach this week until the end of the season.

“He’s had a problem with his back. He is here for treatment.

“I sat everybody on Tuesday morning and said everybody has a clean slate.”

Ferreyra’s only minutes on the pitch for Newcastle so far have come in friendlies and Under-21 games.

The Argentinian has been an unused substitute on a number of occasions for first-team fixtures.