`

Newcastle could turn to Diego Rolan after sealing Florian Thauvin swoop

Florian Thauvin
Florian Thauvin

Florian Thauvin will take Newcastle United’s summer spending to £50million when he completes his move to the club – and Steve McClaren still hopes for more.

The winger will undergo a medical on Tyneside today with Remy Cabella having flown in the opposite direction as part of the deal.

Thauvin will become Newcastle’s fifth signing of the summer, following fellow big-money moves by Georginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba and the low-key capture of youngster Ivan Toney.

A deal that could amount to £14million is in place for the French star, though Newcastle will recoup some of that should Cabella make his move permanent after a season-long loan deal.

Thauvin still has to agree personal terms, but Newcastle don’t expect that to be too much of a problem.

It is another statement of intent by the Magpies. McClaren was assured of significant investment in the squad when he accepted the job in June and would still like another striker in place before the transfer window shuts on September 1.

They will switch their attention away from Charlie Austin after baulking at QPR’s £15million fee, and could instead look to firm up their interest in Bordeaux’s Diego Rolan.

Newcastle were linked with the 22-year-old earlier this summer, with reports in France claiming they had offered Cabella as a makeweight in any potential deal.

The Uruguayan international scored 15 goals in Ligue 1 last season and has had a £12million price tag put on his head.

One striker who won’t be joining Newcastle, hwoever, is Saido Berahino.

The England Under-21 international was linked with the club in June, but West Brom are reluctant to sell him and rejected a bid from Tottenham Hotspur yesterday.

Baggies chairman Jeremy Peace said: “We have no interest in selling Saido which is what I have told (Tottenham chairman) Daniel Levy.

“I know we are living in an age where no club can say ‘never’ about the possibility of selling a player.

“However, the prospect of selling Saido is simply not on our agenda.

“We are going forward with Saido very much in our plans and still striving to add players to improve the balance of our squad.”