Newcastle’s Rolando Aarons ruled out until the New Year

TALENT ... Rolando Aarons in action against Liverpool.
TALENT ... Rolando Aarons in action against Liverpool.

ROLANDO Aarons’s return has been put back to the New Year – after the winger suffered an injury setback.

The Gazette reported yesterday that Aarons would miss Newcastle United’s Capital One Cup quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur tonight and Sunday’s Tyne-Wear derby.

And manager Alan Pardew has revealed that the 19-year-old will miss the club’s entire festive programme.

Aarons suffered his second hamstring problem of the campaign early last month.

And Pardew had hoped to have him available for the club’s hectic December schedule.

But Aarons – who scored against holders Manchester City in the last round of the League Cup – won’t now feature until the New Year at the earliest.

“Rolando’s had a little setback at the weekend when we were away,” said Pardew.

“We’re going to have to wait and see on that.

“We’re going to have to make sure we get him through and ready to go.

“He’s a young lad. The hamstring issue is so delicate, we’re going to have to make sure we get him across the line for the New Year.”

Aarons – who forced his way into Pardew’s plans in pre-season – energised United in his five league and cup appearances this season.

The England Under-19 international, signed as an unknown from Bristol City two years ago, also scored in the club’s Premier League home game against Crystal Palace.

Pardew feels his team has “missed” pacy Aarons’s dynamism and creativity on the flanks over the past few weeks.

“He’s a very exciting player, and, to be honest, I’ve missed him,” said Pardew.

“I’m putting a lot of pressure on the medical team department that I don’t miss him again.”

Aarons signed a professional contract at Newcastle late last season.

The club has him under contract for another 18 months – with an option for another year after that.