Newcastle set to finally sign striker – but winger move put on hold

Joselu
Joselu

Rafa Benitez is set to finally sign a striker at Newcastle United.

Stoke City’s Joselu underwent a medical on Tyneside yesterday ahead of a £5million move to the club.

Benitez – who last week told of his transfer frustration – has been looking to sign a striker all summer.

Newcastle lost out on Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham earlier in the transfer window – the 19-year-old joined Swansea City on a season-long loan – and Arsenal’s Lucas Perez is out of the club’s price range.

However, United agreed a deal for Joselu, out of favour at the Britannia Stadium, yesterday.

The club had had what was described as a “derisory” bid for Joselu turned down earlier this month.

Joselu’s move is expected to be finalised today ahead of Sunday’s game against Huddersfield Town at the John Smith Stadium.

The 27-year-old – who had a spell at Real Madrid earlier in his career – joined Stoke from Hannover 96 two years ago.

However, the former Spain Under-21 international was loaned out to Deportivo La Coruna last season after a disappointing season at the club.

And manager Mark Hughes made him available for transfer this summer.

Newcastle are also working on a loan deal for Chelsea winger Kenedy.

The 21-year-old was named on the bench by Antonio Conte at the weekend, and the youngster might not be allowed to leave until the Premier League champions have strengthened their squad.

Benitez also wants to sign a goalkeeper before the transfer window closes at the end of the month and have been linked again with Udinese goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis.

The player’s agent, Vasileios Panagiotakis, was quoted in Italy saying: “He’ll play for Watford, Newcastle or Crystal Palace.”

Speaking after Sunday’s season-opening 2-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur, United manager Benitez said: “We know what we need and we know what we have to do.”

Benitez also needs to move a number of players out of the club.