Newcastle United 1 Watford 2: Club makes worst league start in 29 years

Daryl Janmaat
Daryl Janmaat

Newcastle United’s players were booed off the pitch at St James’s Park after their winless run continued against Watford.

Steve McClaren’s side were beaten 2-1 by the newly-promoted club this afternoon.

The result means this is Newcastle’s worst league start since 1986-87.

United, without a win in the Premier League this season, never fully recovered from a dreadful first half which saw Odio Ighalo score twice for the visitors.

Daryl Janmaat gave Newcastle some hope with a second-half strike, but the team couldn’t conjure up an equaliser.

However, the result saw the club move off the foot of the table thanks to Sunderland’s 2-0 defeat away to Bournemouth.

United now face unenviable fixtures against Premier League champions Chelsea and league leaders Manchester City over the next fortnight.

And the defeat has intensified the pressure on head coach McClaren.

Ighalo opened the scoring in the 10th minute after being given time and space inside the box to turn and shoot with his right foot, and the striker added a second as the half-hour mark approached.

McClaren replaced Papiss Demba Cisse with Siem de Jong at the break.

Newcastle improved, and defender Janmaat played a one-two with Moussa Sissoko before rolling the ball past Heurelho Gomes in the 62nd minute.

United pushed for an equaliser, but they struggled to find gaps in an organised and disciplined visiting defence.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Krul; Janmaat, Mbemba, Coloccini, Haidara (Aarons, 80); Colback Wijnaldum; Sissoko, Perez, Thauvin (Obertan, 88); Cisse (de Jong, 46). Subs: Elliot, Lascelles, Williamson, Anita.

WATFORD: Gomes; Nyom, Cathcart, Prodl, Anya; Capoue, Watson (Guedioura, 88); Abdi (Berghuis, 76), Deeney, Jurado (Ake, 80); Ighalo. Subs: Arlauskis, Hoban, Ibarbo, Diamanti.

Goals: Ighalo 10, 28, Janmaat 62

Bookings: Abdi 36, Capoue 80, Colback 89

Referee: Roger East (Wiltshire)

Attendance: 47,806