Newcastle United 2 Nottingham Forest 3 (AET): Cup defeat adds to Rafa Benitez's woe

Rolando Aarons (Pic: Frank Reid)
Rolando Aarons (Pic: Frank Reid)

Newcastle United crashed out of the Carabao Cup tonight.

Rafa Benitez's side were beaten 3-2 by Nottingham Forest at St James's Park.

Tyler Walker netted an extra-time winner for the Championship club to condemn United to their first second-round defeat in this competition in 27 years.

The the two teams had shared four first-half goals, with Aleksandar Mitrovic and Rolando Aarons having scored for United.

Newcastle manager Benitez made 10 changes for the second-round tie, which was watched by a crowd of 27,709.

Mitrovic gave United an early lead with a fierce shot from an Aarons cross.

Aleksandar Mitrovic

Aleksandar Mitrovic

But Forest capitalised on some uncertain defending either side of the half-hour mark to take a 2-1 lead.

Jason Cummings first stooped to head a Zach Clough cross past captain Karl Darlow. Then he latched on to a long ball forward from Danny Fox before lifting the ball over Darlow, signed from Forest three years ago.

Aarons, however, capped a superb first-half performance with a stunning equaliser from outside the box.

Newcastle pressed and pressed for a winner after the break, but they couldn't force a breakthrough and the game went into extra-time.

Walker got a touch on Jack Hobbs' goal-bound header in the 98th minute to put Forest into the lead.

And there was to be no way back for United, who have now lost three successive games this season.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Darlow; Sterry (Lazaar, 58), Hanley, Mbemba, Gamez; Saivet, Barlaser (Hayden, 70); Murphy, Diame, Aarons (Ritchie, 76); Mitrovic (Joselu, 105). Subs not used: Woodman, Lascelles, Manquillo.

NOTTINGHAM FOREST: Smith, Lichaj, Mancienne, Osborn, Fox, Clough, Brereton (Walker, 77), Dowell (Hobbs, 62), Bouchalakis (McKay, 46), Cummings (Murphy, 96), Worrall. Subs not used: Evitimov, Traore, Darikwa.

Goals: Mitrovic 3, Cummings 29, 31, Aarons 45, Walker 98

Bookings: Worrall 83, Hanley 86, Mancienne 113

Referee: Darren England (Barnsley)

Attendance: 27,709