Newcastle United 2 Swansea City 3: John Carver’s side deeper in trouble after SEVENTH successive loss

PROTEST ... United fans.
PROTEST ... United fans.

NEWCASTLE United are deeper in relegation trouble after a seventh successive defeat this afternoon.

Swansea City came from behind to win 3-2 at St James’s Park thanks to goals from Nelson Oliveira, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Jack Cork.

Ayoze Perez had given John Carver’s side a first-half lead in front a crowd of 46,884, the club’s lowest gate of a demoralising and depressing season.

But the team capitulated after the break.

Siem de Jong, making his comeback from a collapsed lung, netted his first goal for the club late in the game.

United are now just FIVE points above the Premier League’s relegation zone with four games left to play.

GOAL ... Ayoze Perez.

GOAL ... Ayoze Perez.

The club last lost seven games in a row in 1977.

There were more protests against owner Mike Ashley – who was not at the match – while head coach Carver was involved in a verbal exchange with two fans behind the dugout during the game.

Under-pressure Carver recalled Jonas Gutierrez and Emmanuel Riviere to his starting XI.

Newcastle made the better start, and Perez had a 12th-minute header saved by Lukasz Fabianski.

Swansea captain Ashley Williams – who had implored his team to “liven up” – put a header wide at the other end before Newcastle got their breakthrough.

Emmanuel Riviere outpaced Angel Rangel on the left and crossed for Perez, who tapped the ball home with his second touch after it cannoned off Jordi Amat.

There were anti-Ashley chants in the 34th minute – the club’s recently-filed accounts revealed it had £34m in the bank at the end of last season – and United looked to be heading into the break with a lead.

But Oliveira got the better of Jonas Gutierrez to head a Sigurdsson corner past Krul in the 45th minute.

It got worse for Newcastle after the interval. Swansea took possession from a weak Tim Krul kick, and the 49th-minute move ended with a simple finish from Sigurdsson.

Midfielder Mehdi Abeid replaced defender Daryl Janmaat in the 62nd minute, and Ryan Taylor went to right-back.

United looked to have run out of ideas, but Swansea didn’t stop running, and Cork made it 3-1 with 20 minutes left after playing a one-two with Oliveira.

Forward De Jong pulled a goal back for Newcastle, who take on in-form Leicester City at the King Power Stadium on May 2.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Krul, Janmaat (Abeid, 62), Coloccini, Williamson, Anita, R Taylor, Gutierrez, Colback, Cabella (de Jong, 74), Riviere (Armstrong, 74), Perez. Subs not used: Woodman, Gouffran, Obertan, Ameobi.

SWANSEA CITY: Fabianski, Rangel, Fernandez, Williams, Amat, Cork, Shelvey, Sigurdsson (Emnes, 81), Dyer, Montero (Grimes, 69), Oliviera (Ki, 71). Subs not used: Tremmel, Bartley, Britton, Fulton.

Goals: Perez 20, Oliveira 45, Sigurdsson 49, Cork 70, de Jong 88

Bookings: Anita 39, Amat 42

Referee: Neil Swarbrick (Preston)

Attendance: 46,884