Newcastle United 3 Burnley 3: Clarets hit back three times to stun Magpies

Jack Colback fires Newcastle 2-1 up against Burnley today
Jack Colback fires Newcastle 2-1 up against Burnley today

THREE goals were not enough for Newcastle United to kick-off the New Year – and a new era – with a victory.

George Boyd claimed a point for Burnley with a late goal in a 3-3 draw between the two sides at St James’s Park this afternoon.

United, with assistant manager John Carver in temporary charge because of Alan Pardew’s imminent, were leading 3-2 thanks to goals from Moussa Sissoko, Jack Colback and Steven Taylor.

But Boyd – who scored last month’s 1-1 draw between the two clubs at Turf Moor last month – stopped Carver’s tenure getting off to a winning start.

Newcastle, given an early let-off when an Ashley Barnes shot hit the post, took a 15th-minute lead through Taylor, who headed a Colback corner past Tom Heaton.

The lead last just three minutes, with Paul Dummett heading the ball into his own net to level the scores after a mix-up with goalkeeper Jak Alnwick.

But the ended the half on top thanks to a superb strike from Colback, who beat Heaton with a 25-yard effort.

Burnley’s Danny Ings hit the bar with a shot early in the second half, and Alwnick somehow stopped a follow-up shot from Barnes before the ball was hacked clear.

Taylor was forced off through injury in the 60th minute – Mike Williamson came on – and Burnley hit the woodwork again through Ben Mee, whose header struck the bar.

Burnley pressed and pressed for an equaliser, and Alnwick did well to tip a long-range shot from Boyd over the bar.

United were on the back foot, and Dyche’s side got back on level terms in the 66th minute through Ings, who glanced a Michael Kightly cross past Alnwick.

A change in formation helped Newcastle regain the initiative, with Carver having changed to a three-man defence.

And substitute Adam Armstrong rolled the ball to Sissoko after a good work down the left from Ayoze Perez, and the midfielder beat Heaton with a precise finish from close range.

But Boyd struck four minutes from time to claim a point for the visitors.

Newcastle are back in action on Saturday, when they travel to Leicester City for a third-round FA Cup tie.

Twitter: @milesstarforth

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Alnwick; Janmaat, Coloccini, S Taylor (Williamson, 60), Dummett; Sissoko, Colback, Tiote, Gouffran (Haidara, 71); Riviere (Armstrong, 57), Perez. Subs not used: Woodman, Santon, Anita, Cabella.

BURNLEY: Heaton; Trippier, Shackell (Long, 17, Reid, 36), Keane, Mee; Arfield, Jones, Marney (Kightly, 31), Boyd; Barnes, Ings. Subs not used: Gilks, Wallace, Sordell, Jutkiewicz.

Goals: S Taylor 15, Dummett 18 (og), Colback 26, Ings 66, Sissoko 78, Boyd 86

Bookings: Ings 64, Janmaat 67, Mee 83, Trippier 83, Williamson 89

Referee: Mike Dean (The Wirral)

Attendance: 51,761

Twitter @milesstarforth