Newcastle United 4 Norwich City 3: Hat-trick hero Gayle claims dramatic win

Rafa Benitez
Rafa Benitez

Hat-trick hero Dwight Gayle scored an injury-time winner to give Newcastle United an dramatic win over Norwich City tonight.

Gayle and Gouffran netted deep in added time to give Rafa Benitez's side a 4-3 win at St James's Park.

The result saw United climb up to third place in the Championship, three points behind leaders Huddersfield Town.

Newcastle had been trailing 3-2 when the fourth official signalled six minutes of injury time.

Gayle had missed four early chances before giving Newcastle the lead in the 24th minute.

And those missed opportunities looked like coming back to haunt United, who sat back after taking the lead and were pegged back before the break.

Gouffran brought down Ivo Pinto in the 44th minute, and Graham Dorrans converted the resulting penalty.

Bankes was booed off the pitch at the interval, but Newcastle's players knew they only had themselves to blame.

Cameron Jerome put Norwich ahead early in the second half, and Jack Murphy netted with a deflected shot in the 69th minute.

Gayle netted a second for Newcastle seconds after the restart.

But Norwich looked like holding on for the win when fourth official David Coote signalled half a dozen minutes of added time.

United's pressure, however, told in the fifth minute of injury time when Gouffran netted.

And Gayle completed his hat-trick in the last few seconds of the match to lift the roof at St James's Park.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Darlow; Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett (Atsu, 90); Shelvey, Colback (Hayden, 71); Ritchie, Diame (Mitrovic, 71), Gouffran; Gayle. Subs not used: Sels, Mbemba, Lazaar, Perez.

NORWICH CITY: McGovern, Pinto, Martin, Bassong, Olsson; Tettey, Dorrans; Ja Murphy, Howson, Brady; Jerome (Oliveira, 86). Subs not used: Ruddy, Naismith, Hoolahan, Bennett, Jo Murphy, Thompson.

Goals: Gayle 24, 70, 90, Dorrans 44 (pen), Jerome 52, Murphy 69, Gouffran 90

Bookings: Colback 9, Ritchie 40, Brady 45, Howson 59, Dorrans 60, Mitrovic 73, Olsson 74, Lascelles 78, Jerome 78

Referee: Peter Bankes

Attendance: 48,236