Latest Premier League news and gossip.

Newcastle United failed to seal £11.4m deal for TWO reasons, Miguel Almiron discusses Magpies future

The January transfer window may have closed on Monday – but speculation still surrounds Newcastle United.

Thursday, 4th February 2021, 8:00 am

Steve Bruce admitted after the 2-1 defeat to Crystal Palace on Tuesday that he hoped to bring someone in alongside Joe Willock, but deals failed to materialise.

The 60-year-old said: “We always want more, but one or two, unfortunately, fell away, which we were disappointed about.”

And according to Portuguese outlet Record – the Magpies attempted to sign Sporting Lisbon midfielder Matheus Nunes last month.

They say Newcastle tabled an £11.4million offer for the Brazilian “about two weeks ago” but it swiftly rejected for two reasons.

Sporting did not want to weaken their squad by letting him go, plus the fact they believe his price tag will only increase as time goes on.

A midfielder was definitely on Bruce’s radar, so perhaps Nunes was considered by Newcastle, who were pushing to sign Leicester City’s Hamza Choudhury on deadline day, but Brendan Rodgers refused to let him go.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles was also linked with a move to St James’s Park but Newcastle opted for Willock. Premier League rules state you can’t sign two loan players from the same club – which in this instant, is Arsenal.

Meanwhile, Miguel Almiron has been speaking to Paraguayan outlet Versus about his short-term future.

The 26-year-old, who signed from Atlanta United for £21million in January 2019, said: “I have a goal which is to try to continue playing in Europe. Improve my football and reach great clubs. I’m enjoying right now.”

Here’s a round up of the latest gossip doing the rounds across the Premier League:

Page 1 of 3