Newcastle United news: Cathro works on attack in training, Neville wants more risks, Perez to start

Newcastle returned to training today
Newcastle returned to training today

Newcastle United’s lack of creativity – and how they end their goalscoring problems – have been the focus today.

The Magpies have failed to score in their last four Premier League games.

It’s a situation that has seen United slump to the bottom of the Premier League table, and has prompted much debate on Tyneside about how to end it.

Newcastle set about improving their play in the final third when they returned to training today. Under the watchful eye of coach Ian Cathro, they did a one-touch passing drill as a warm-up before working on crossing and shooting.

Newcastle broadcast part of their training live on Periscope.

Pundit and England coach Gary Neville, meanwhile, has called on Steve McClaren to start taking more risks to improve his side’s goal output.

McClaren’s tactics have so far been conservative, looking to play on the counter-attack.

Neville slammed Newcastle’s three central midfielders for their performance against West Ham on Monday, but says the team as a whole must start offering more in the final third.

One way McClaren could solve Newcastle’s lack of goals is by recalling Ayoze Perez to the starting line-up.

Perez impressed the Newcastle boss with his cameo from the bench on Monday, and the Spaniard is now in the frame to start against Watford on Saturday.

Asked if Perez had given him something to think about, McClaren said: “Absolutely.”

Finally, our fan blog by @GallowgateShots today calls for ‘Champions League dreamer’ Moussa Sissoko to be dropped.