Latest Premier League news and gossip.

Newcastle United transfer news: Rafa Benitez signing could leave for FREE this month as ex-Manchester United striker prices himself out of move

Steve Bruce takes to the dugout for the first time tonight since Newcastle United’s embarrassing 1-0 defeat to bottom club Sheffield United last week.

Monday, 18th January 2021, 8:43 am

Magpies supporters’ frustration with Bruce came to a head after the loss at Bramall Lane, placing the 60-year-old under significant pressure.

The United boss is in desperate need of a performance at the Emirates but whatever happens, no managerial change is expected any time soon.

"He is safe in his job – of that there is no doubt,” Newcastle United writer Liam Kennedy said in his weekly Q&A on the Shields Gazette.

"The club are wary of the threats relegation can bring, and understand the concerns recent results have brought, but there is a belief this side will remain in the Premier League – and not put the takeover in any doubt.”

That means the former Manchester United defender is set to see out the January transfer window, which closes on February 1, as he keeps a close eye on potential loan signings.

One man that won’t be moving to St James’s Park is Chelsea’s Fiyako Tomori however, who is closing in on a move to Serie A giants AC Milan.

Newcastle, along with Leeds United, were heavily linked with the England man this month but he’s set to move to Italy on loan for the remainder of the season with a £25million purchase option.

Meanwhile, Josh King, also linked with Newcastle after acquiring his former Bournemouth’s teammates Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser last summer, is said to be pricing himself out a return to the top-flight before the deadline.

There are also reports that one of Rafa Benitez’s signings will be allowed to leave for free this month.

Here’s a round-up of some of the other transfer rumours involving Newcastle, the three mentioned above, and their Premier League rivals:

Page 1 of 3