Newcastle United transfer round-up: Magpies linked with FIVE - including 24-y/o £15m-rated 23-goal striker

Newcastle United have been linked with four midfielders and a striker as Steve Bruce steps up in January transfer window plans.

Sunday, 12th January 2020, 4:44 pm
Steve Bruce is eyeing activity in the market this month.

According to The Athletic, the Magpies manager is eyeing several bids for a powerful box-to-box midfielder as the club’s injury crisis worsens.

Strasbourg’s Ibrahima Sissoko was the first name mooted with Spartak Moscow star Alex Kral, Lille’s Thiago Maia and teammate Boubakary Soumare all tipped to make the St James’s Park switch.

Aston Villa and Newcastle United are keen on a January move for Le Havre forward Tino Kadewere, with Norwich City and Tottenham also interested in the 24-year-old Zimbabwe striker.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

In other news, Bruce says Dwight Gayle is going nowhere in this month’s transfer window amidst interest from several Championship clubs

“I can see a role for Dwight,” said Bruce. “I’ve always liked him. Unfortunately, he got injured.

“Whatever happened to him in the past, he hasn’t felt part of the picture, but I started him against Manchester United (on Boxing Day). He was stiff afterwards because it was his first game for months, but he’s available for the Wolves game. Let’s see what that brings.”

Bruce – who tried to sign Gayle earlier in his managerial career – reckons the 29-year-old playing a part in the North East club’s future this campaign.

“He’s a very good player – and a vital part of the squad,” said Bruce. “I understand he might be (frustrated). I wouldn’t expect any different – I’d be the same. If you don’t play, you’re not happy.

“It’s part of the job managing that, but he’s going to get his chance.”