Steve McClaren is keeping quiet about Newcastle United’s January transfer plans.
But the head coach hasn’t ruled out bringing Adam Armstrong back to St James’s Park to help fire the club up the league.
We are probably talking about Adam for next season, but don’t rule anything out.
Armstrong has been in sensational form on loan at League One Coventry City, netting 13 goals in 19 games.
Sources indicate Armstrong’s loan at the Sky Blues - due to expire on January 16 - will be extended until the end of the season.
But with Papiss Cisse a major injury concern for the entire festive programme with a groin problem, McClaren isn’t ruling out bringing the 18-year-old back.
“Once we find out about Papiss then we’ll be able to go from there,” said McClaren.
“At the present moment, Adam is staying in Coventry and is doing very well.
“We believe he is developing.
“We are probably talking about Adam for next season, but don’t rule anything out.”
Newcastle spent £50million on new players in the summer, with five signings added to McClaren’s squad.
In came Georginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Chancel Mbemba, Florian Thauvin and Ivan Toney with further reinforcements expected in January.
But the club’s head coach is giving little away ahead of the transfer window opening on January 1.
“You know better than I do, that this is a private club that doesn’t do it’s business through the media or publicly,” said McClaren ahead of the Everton game on Boxing Day.
“So there are things going on behind the scenes and we keep them very quiet.
“Focus on the two games we have got before January opens and even then we keep everything private and confidential.
“No doubt you will speculate as much as possible but we will say nothing is happening until it does.”
When pressed on his transfer targets, McClaren added: “That is a discussion and that is private.
“It is very private what we are doing at the moment.
“We are not going to discuss it or speculate about players or anything.
“Privately behind the scenes we are planning. Until things happen we will say nothing.”
When asked if McClaren had been told he couldn’t talk about transfer speculation by the club’s hierarchy, McClaren added: “To be fair that is my policy.
“I don’t like speculation that we are going to do this or going to do that.
“The window is not open.
“We still have two games before it opens.
“Believe you me we are talking all the time.
“We don’t plan to do anything in public.”