Steve McClaren says transfers are the last thing on his mind after Newcastle United’s season took another turn for the worse.
McClaren’s side were dumped out of the FA Cup by Watford on Saturday.
And relegation-threatened Newcastle, which has lost its last four games 1-0, face Manchester United at St James’s Park in the Premier League tomorrow night.
The club, which is looking to sign a striker, were last night linked with a move for West Brom’s Saido Berahino, who scored for the Baggies in the FA Cup at the weekend.
Newcastle have also has been strongly linked with a move for Swansea City midfielder Jonjo Shelvey.
McClaren’s need for goalscoring reinforcements is acute, as United have gone 412 minutes without a goal.
But the club’s head coach insists he’s leaving the club’s transfer business to others while he prepares his team for the visit of Louis van Gaal’s side.
Asked if he expected anyone to come in this month, McClaren said: “All I’m concentrating on is Tuesday.
“I’ll leave any movement to other people. I’ve got to get this team ready.”
Asked about a move for unsettled Shelvey, McClaren added: “I don’t know anything about that.”
Chelsea’s Loic Remy – who was not involved in yesterday’s FA Cup win over Scunthorpe United – is one target for Newcastle, whose striking options are limited.
With Papiss Cisse sidelined with a groin injury, Aleksandar Mitrovic, signed last summer from Anderlecht, has been leading the line.
Teenager Ivan Toney, an unused substitute at Vicarage Road, was recalled from a loan spell at Barnsley last month as cover.
Asked if he had enough goals in the squad as it stands, McClaren said: “I think we need to do things better, and not get doubts, because you get criticised and your confidence goes down.
“We’ve got players injured, we’ve only one striker at the present moment (Mitrovic) and the other is an 18 year old kid (Ivan Toney).
“We haven’t got the luxury of having two or three strikers to pick from. We just have to keep going.”