STEVE McClaren has reaffirmed his “100 per cent” commitment to Derby amid continuing speculation linking him with Newcastle.
Reports have claimed the crisis-hit Magpies approached the former England boss at the weekend with a view to him taking over as manager for the final three games of the season.
I hear the speculation, I see it, but I’m 100 per cent committed to Derby County at this point.Steve McClaren
Newcastle have been plunged into a relegation battle after losing eight games in succession in the Premier League.
McClaren was previously linked with St James’s Park as a possible long-term successor to John Carver, who has only been appointed until the end of the season.
But McClaren said on Sky Sports News: “I reiterate what I said on Saturday straight after the game, and what I’ve said to the board and the players yesterday – I’m 100 per cent committed to finishing the job here.
“I hear the speculation, I see it, but I’m 100 per cent committed to Derby County at this point. I’ve been saying it for months, that my total focus, my total commitment, is on Derby County.”
McClaren’s Rams side topped the Sky Bet Championship two months ago but a poor run-in eventually saw them finish out of the play-off positions in eighth.
McClaren, 54, said: “There is still a lot more to come from this team and this club. The aim is to get into the Premier League.
“For three-quarters of the season we were one of the best teams in the league, we were top of the league. We looked as if we were going to go on.
“Since that moment a lot of things have gone wrong but it is not a bad team, it is not a bad football club overnight. That is why I want to stay here and finish the job.”